07 Aug 2018 #Taboos
“Taboo" has been somewhat expanded in the social sciences to strong prohibitions relating to any area of human activity or custom that is sacred or forbidden based on moral judgement, religious beliefs or cultural norms.
Day after day we are subjected to these non-sensible taboos and somewhere we have stopped questioning the superstitious conservative beliefs practiced by our society. In India, taboos are the prominent issue faced by the majority of the population. Some of the examples are:
- Women should be well behaved all the time and should obey the men as it’s always been a patriarchal society.
- Mensuration should not be talked publically and even the act of buying pads should be hidden.
- Sex should not be discussed openly and even remotely sexual need such as masturbation is a crime.
- Homosexuality has not been accepted by our society as according to them, it's something unreal and against our culture.
- The main issue we are hesitant to talk about in our country is inter caste or inter religion marriage. Youth's future is still decided by their parents and inter racial or cultural marriages are not acceptable. A family’s reputation is far more superior to the life and love of their children.
- Divorce is another taboo in India societies, once you are married, you can kill each other fighting but they shouldn't get divorced because what will the “society” say about them.
Now, the main question is how to break these taboos, whatever we hide away from talking about is a natural normal human thing which people should probably know, so they will start accepting that all these topics which are being questioned by them are as natural as breathing. Instead of running away from the topic such as sex before marriage, talking about mensuration publically, one should talk about openly and spread the knowledge. Nobody, gets to decide the laws of nature even nature doesn't at times, then who are we to pass any judgement about someone’s sexual preference, they are free to live their life peacefully so live and let others live. Taboos are nothing but a crippling impediment of our society that should be uprooted and thrown away. Someone has to take the initiative, so try to be that someone. Let's fight this one together and make the country free of the shackles of misconstrued beliefs and taboos. It’s very important to break away from the shackles of what will the society say “log kya kahenge”. Take that first step and you will find yourself to be freer and will enjoy life more.